Wednesday, January 27, 2010

God's Voice

Once, when I was on retreat in college a nun who was speaking told us to find something in nature that God could use to speak to us. At first I thought this was a little hokey but tried it. She told us not to think about finding something - to just use the first thing we set our eyes upon. Then, after we found the object we were told to reflect on what God was saying to our hearts through it. I don't remember what it was I found on that retreat but I do remember whatever it was spoke to me. So, the other day while my children were playing at our new favorite spot in town, I sat down to rest on a bench, I turned around to see a mountain laurel (my favorite tree) and plucked this leaf from it. Right away I could hear Him speaking...

broken but not completely damaged...
almost severed but still intact...
diseased and imperfect but still living and breathing...

"The will of God will not take you, where the grace of God cannot protect you." -Unknown


No comments: